Thursday, May 19, 2011

On "The Sound and the Fury" and "Created in Darkness by Troubled Americans: The Best of McSweeney's Humor Category"

It does not appear to be my day for reading. I picked up The Sound and the Fury, a book that, at the very least, has an interesting premise and astoundingly coarse dialogue, and could not make head nor tail of it. The protagonist appears to have no grasp of time. Being quite tired, I got about thirty-five pages in and fell asleep.

Deciding that perhaps this book required too much effort, I moved on to some lighter material, apparently culled from the pages of a publication called McSweeney's. Either it is nonsense, or it is extremely funny if you have read several books and periodicals that I have not, know what a "Flash Mob" is, and understand exactly why it is that Ezra Pound repeatedly refers to everyone as "Animal" or "Filth." I highly recommend it for the well-read modern American human, but for myself, it does little.

No comments:

Post a Comment